Day 7 - Going pro

Yet another warm and sunny day up in the Lakes today. We've certainly been blessed with the weather this year  no one can recall such a dry 10in10 and even ten days in Cumbria without rain is virtually unheard of.

The current forecast predicts the dry spell to last until at least Sunday; fingers crossed so the masses running the main event can fully appreciate the fantastic scenery around the course.

I was in a much better mood this morning and generally felt good. Maybe it was the thought of lasagne for tea, I'd been looking forward to that!

We had a different start to the day. After physio, Mark gathered us into a circle, showed us some beautiful poems by his daughters, and delivered some moving and inspirational words to everyone. Essentially we should appreciate the running here, especially such a tough event, and think of those who can't or aren't able to. Quite a few tears were shed and hugs shared before we made our way down to the start.

In another unusual twist, Joe lent me his GoPro so I could wear it and video the race. Despite being a tad dubious, after a mile or two it hardly felt as though I was wearing it.

I set off last again so I could capture more people on film, including the support crew at various locations around the route. 

It was good to see club mates Daz and Fiona down at the start, who came along to support on their way back from their holiday in Scotland.

Because the camera was strapped to my chest, trying to record views off to the side of the course was tricky, I had to kind of shuffle like a crab for a few strides at a time!

The school children were out in force in Hawkshead again though they caught me out as half wanted high-fives and half fist bumps!

I had a decent first half apart from box four having no bottle or gel  I must have forgotten to put them in last night. Oh well, the supplies from Hawkshead just had to last me to mile 12.

I caught up with Sean at Newby Bridge and as we hit the Rollercoaster a car beeped and drew alongside me. It was my friend and club mate Charis. Great to see her off and on till the finish as she kept popping up taking pictures.



Malc and Jonathan were having a cracking run, still completely out of sight as I dropped into Bowness. Just on the waterfront I could see someone stood in our club vest, and as I got nearer saw it was my wife Joanne! What a wonderful surprise and we gave each other a huge hug!

Joanne ran with me to the church then headed off to the finish. Seeing her gave me a massive boost and I was motoring along for the last six miles. 

I drew alongside Malc at the bottom of Ice Cream Mountain and around a mile later could see Jonathan in the distance.

Just after the wooden bridge Joe and Joanne were waiting for me, so I urged Jonathan along and we all ran in together. Joe couldn't believe the pace we were doing after 25 miles today and almost seven marathons!

I had another half an hour with Joanne before she had to head home for the kids. Thankfully, they will all be coming back up here tomorrow  that will be fantastic  so Day 8 is dedicated to them, my family.








Comments

Popular Posts