Day 1 - On the road

I'm rooming with Sean, Richard and Dave and last night we'd all booked our first physio slots for various times this morning. Dave had already warned us he liked getting up early (5.15am!) while the rest of us were hoping for a slightly longer lie in.

None of us slept at all well with thoughts of our first marathon and all the associated new routines weighing heavily on our minds. So when Dave got up for his shower, the rest of us were already awake and in the communal kitchen well before 6am.

After a two course breakfast, two coffees and plenty of chat about the day ahead, I donned my running gear and made my way down to the "Athletes' Room" for the first time.

We all had some basic treatment, mainly just rubbing down to flush out overnight toxins, and were left anxiously milling around waiting for the 9.15 briefing. Another coffee and three toilet trips later Aly arrived to give us a run down of the morning regime.

With it being the first day we had an "unofficial" start for the media. A small crowd including a Border TV film crew and several photographers was gathered on the lawn outside the Hall. Brathay's Scott Umpleby acted as MC and Joss Naylor appeared once more to give us some sage advice as we set off. 


I was really pleased to see running pals Mick Dobson and Steve Gregory there, both going out of their way to see me off. After some pomp and ceremony  including the famous shotgun salute  we were on our way across the lawn then promptly slowed to walk down to the road for the official race start!

There were a couple of portaloos there and most of the crew were taking yet another wee break. I felt like another too but decided against it (bad move).

Because there's a blind corner and no pavement at the start, each day we have a staggered start for safety. Malc was first one away and I went next around 15 seconds later. Mick and Steve were on hand to take some more photos as I set off.

The first two miles are more or less all uphill and it took me most of this distance to catch up with Malc. We had a bit of a chat for a few minutes then I pressed on trying to stick to my intended 8 min/mile pace.

The weather was ideal for running, lots of cloud cover, a bit of a breeze and not too warm. Four miles in you pass through Hawkshead with the village school at the far side. I'd been told that the school children come out each day to cheer the 10in10ers past and could see them waiting as I rounded a corner. They were all shouting my name (it's on my race number) and I high-fived them all  it was a real buzz and highlight of the race, though I could have done with them being around 18 miles instead!

A few miles later came Devil's Gallop, the biggest climb on the route. A couple were supporting in a car at the bottom and warned me of what was to come. Steadily I plodded away and thankfully soon reached the top. 

It's mainly flat or gently downhill to Newby Bridge where you cross the River Leven opposite the Swan Hotel 12.5 miles in before turning up the other side of Lake Windermere. I kissed the middle of the historic bridge as I crossed.

I managed to pick up my pace a little from 13 to 18 miles along what 10in10ers dub the "Rollercoaster" as the road endlessly climbs and dips throughout this section.

All along the course, interspersed at roughly two-mile intervals, were the large plastic boxes housing all of our supplies, carefully put out early each morning by our wonderful Brathay support team.

Just before I reached Bowness my bladder really couldn't contain the wee I should have had at the start, and I had to pull in for a pitstop for what felt like an eternity!

It was a bit quiet along the waterfront in Bowness and my thoughts passed to Mam, as we'd visited this spot a few times together. The route nips down a back alley before emerging on the road to Ambleside, and glancing over to the public car park I had a flashback of Mam getting us all fish and chips there once and, after finding her's full of bones, characteristically taking the half-eaten meals back demanding a refund!

Rich's mum kept popping up in random lay-bys to show her support which was great, and it wasn't long before Ice Cream Mountain loomed ahead. Another drop box was at the top of the climb and as I grabbed another bottle, Rocket Rod (former Langdale Marathon organiser), the ice cream lady and another chap cheered me past.

The final four miles were generally flat and good running. My left leg, especially my calf, was twinging a little but I kept pushing knowing a sub-3:30 was still potentially on the cards. Steve Gregory appeared from nowhere again and snapped me coming over the wooden bridge and later at the finish.

I ran well up the last killer drive leading into the estate yet, as the finish came into view, I knew I'd be just over and crossed the line in 3:30:22 (I'd clocked 26.45 miles though). At least the self-inflicted pressure of sub-3:30 finishes was now alleviated  curse that wee stop though!

Joe was on hand under Adam's instruction to walk me over to the treatment area, handing me a protein shake. I grabbed a plate of food from the excellent buffet and was straight on a spin bike for ten minutes' recovery. Balancing the plate on the handlebars was a tad tricky!

After half an hour on the physio plinth, a shower and more food, I was feeling relatively normal again. Fingers crossed we'll get a better night's sleep now we've actually done some work and be ready to go again tomorrow  not much choice about that really.

Day 2 will be dedicated to the Pendle parkrun posse as we celebrate our fourth anniversary. Wish I could have been there and I'll be thinking of you all!








Comments

  1. Well done Paul, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Paul. Day 1 ✔️🆒 🚻😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should write an inspirational book Paul, be a bestseller I’m sure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts