Day 9 - Hot, hot, hot!

So much is going on up here now with our families arriving, set up for the big race day tomorrow, lots of new faces on site registering for the main marathon. 

Today was the hottest day yet, it was like a furnace out on the course, not humid just intense heat.

My calf was giving me some gyp right from the first mile but wasn't getting any worse, so no choice but to grin and bear it.

It was fantastic to see Joanne and kids along with fellow club mates in Hawkshead as I ran through. And the school children had made us all a "high five wall" with all our names on along with painted hand prints as they'd now finished for the week. Brilliant!


Despite the heat and dodgy calf I felt stronger than yesterday  I'll never understand how you can feel good one day then worse the next and so on.

Joanne, Emily and the kids were in Bowness which was another great boost, and the Rosthorn and Duerden clans were loitering with intent at the top of Ice Cream Mountain, then shortly after Adrian appeared too. Yet more amazing support from the club!

Over the the last few hot miles my calf finally freed up and I crossed the line in 3:31:02 with all my support crew there waiting. 

But today took its toll on others. Richard and Diane had to walk many miles, and George suffered a grade two muscle tear. These guys are truly amazing and despite their injuries will still battle on to complete tomorrow whatever happens.

To top things off, my physio Joe (along with two others) had been inspired so much by our 10in10 efforts that they signed up to run the main event tomorrow for what will be their first marathon!

My last marathon is dedicated to my incredible club, Trawden AC. Without the support of countless clubmates I wouldn't be here and certainly wouldn't have raised anywhere close to the amount of money I have. Here's to you fellow Humbugs!









Comments

Popular Posts