Day 5 - Ladies' Day

So today was our fifth marathon, technically hump day. It's all downhill after this one, right?

Well this course doesn't quite work like that, it's pretty much the paragon of undulation  you'd be hard pushed to find another marathon course that fits in as many ups, downs, bends and dips as Windermere.

But at least we have reached the half way point in terms of numbers of marathons and miles, so from our first steps tomorrow we'll have less to do than we've already done.

Today dawned on a misty and somewhat cooler note but the threat of heat and humidity lingered in the air. 

Pre-race physio was just a little different too. Day 5 is traditionally "Ladies' Day" when all the male students don dresses, high heels, make up, hot-pants  whatever floats their boats  so there was plenty of good humour and giggles amidst the usual pain and manipulation. My physio Joe was wearing tight denim shorts and a bra  I almost did a runner when I saw him!


Once we were all done and dusted we assembled for roll-call followed by Aly's daily briefing then were on our way down to the start once more.

I brought my camera along to get some pictures of us all plus the physio drag queen brigade at the bottom of the drive. Taking some time for this plus a last minute loo stop meant that people were already heading off before I reached the starting pen.

This was a great opportunity for a few more shots plus some banter with Jim, Mac and the remaining runners getting ready to go. I even succumbed to Davey Green's groans to give him a quick shoulder massage!

I was the last one to set off just after Duncan who really suffered yesterday with very sore shins and Achilles issues. He was still in characteristically good spirits but hobbling along the road ahead. I really felt for him as he'd had three great runs on the opening days  it just proves how brutal this course can be on your body at any time.

I really enjoyed seeing everyone out on the course, something I hadn't had a chance to do until now. A few words and encouragement shared  even a selfie or two  is always a positive thing.

The sun had burnt off the early morning mist within the first mile and the day grew ever hotter and more humid. The east side of the lake along the Rollercoaster and beyond was especially warm.

Coming into Bowness we have a drop box on a wall. As I reached it with just Jonathan still ahead and as yet out of sight, Michelle was there in her support vehicle looking perplexed. The bottles of the four of five regular front runners were there (the support crew normally leave these out) but the box itself with all the other expected drinks, gels and food was gone, clearly stolen. Seriously, who would do that?

Nothing we could do there and then other than a quick look over the wall to see if it had been pushed over, so I carried on. I was feeling a bit more jaded than yesterday although I had been running at a more constant and slightly quicker pace.

Clouds encroached after Ice Cream Mountain, although they did nothing to reduce the temperature, then Jonathan finally came into view. I caught up with him around 23 miles and we ran together for a while until he stopped at the last drop box.

As I passed through Waterhead and over the bridge, stroking the otter's tummy as usual, I tried to pick up the pace as best I could. Running hard up the drive almost made me retch and I crossed the lawn to dib in at 3:29:58 on my watch, which unfortunately translated to 3:30:00 dead on the official timing sheet.
 
My quads are feeling it after today's effort, plus no doubt the accumulation of 131 miles running, so I think tomorrow might well be another gentler photographic day...





 

Comments

  1. Haha Paul, what a fab morning read - put me in a right good old cheery mood for the day! You and your fellow runners are doing fantastically and should all be immensely proud of yourselves. Sounds like you've got an awesome team around you too keeping your spirits up - drag or no drag :D

    Hope today's run is going well (Day 6) - keep that PMA all the way! and good luck for the rest xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts