Day 8 - 100 not out

Today we celebrated Adrian's 100th marathon and induction into the 100 Marathon Club. This guy is top bloke, a legend, so it was a pleasure to share such a memorable occasion with him.

It was another glorious day but I'd woken with a twinge on the inside of my left knee. I put it down to my weird manoeuvres wearing to GoPro the day before (which it turns out only recorded 1h 50m of the run before its battery ran out).

As a result I was out of physio just after 9am then rushing a bit to finish my usual morning ministrations while trying to reply to a few last minute messages, including my good running buddy Chell.

I was last out of the Athletes' Room applying the final blobs of sun cream when I spotted Chell in the flesh with Lucie Dog  another lovely surprise! We walked down to the start together having a chat and before I knew it we were off on the road. 

Ade "100" Brooks was first out of the blocks followed by Malc then yours truly. We caught up with Ady after a couple of miles and he was trucking along in good spirits.



The day was growing very warm again and by Devil's Gallop I could feel my legs stiffening a bit. Through miles 9 to 16 my left calf and hamstring were really stiffening up. It was hot and humid and really not enjoyable out there.

I did finally loosen up a little once past Bowness  it was good to see Chell popping up now and again too  and somehow still managed another decent run in from White Cross.

This was the toughest day on the course yet and I had a sore spot in my calf at the end which didn't really improve much after physio.

The best thing was being reunited with Joanne and my two little ones, Daniel and Jessica, who arrived at Brathay just as I was having my post-therapy shower.

We drove down into Hawkshead (it was weird being in a car for the first time in over a week) where they were camping as I had to help pitch the tent.

Back on site there was plenty of pizza for tea followed by a couple of pints in the bar with Dave, Sandra, Mac, Mark and Joe. And, as has become tradition, we savoured supper up at Shackleton while being thoroughly entertained by Graham with his limitless humour and wit.

Only two more to go now! Day 9 is thoroughly dedicated to my new-found Brathay family  fellow runners, support crew and the Designed2Run Sport Rehab team  you guys are all amazing








Comments

Popular Posts