Powered by pies

Last week was a tale of two extremes. On the one hand it was my favourite time of the year, British Pie Week, my annual affair with pastry-based goodness and a chance to sample at least one pie each day. On the other hand, and a way to counteract this source of unhealthy stodge and mega calories, it would also be my highest mileage week of the year.

Monday was a routine commute to work with a couple of extra miles thrown in on the way home, plus a tasty turkey, ham and leek pie – mmmmm!

I ran to and from work again on Tuesday but left early as I had to catch an afternoon train to London for a business trip to Google HQ the next day. I managed a sausage roll on the train and bagged a dinky beef pie in Preston market as I waited for my connection through to Euston. Once I'd checked in to my hostel in the Big Smoke I got another eight miles in before retiring with a beer or three.

Up early on a damp Wednesday for breakfast then two mile jog to Google towers at Kings Cross with a back-breaking rucksack to boot. After a day of work and first class treatment I soon tracked down Piebury Corner and had the most amazing jerk chicken and porter gravy pie with mash and peas – simply incredible! I managed another couple of miles around town before getting the last train home with a Scotch pie for supper.

Thursday was back to normal with the running commute although slightly hindered with some unexpected heavy snowfall in the morning. Thankfully is was largely melting away by the time I munched a pork and stuffing pie for lunch so the run home was fine.

Friday was a rare day off my feet in preparation for the weekend's activities, but I still managed to acquire a tasty chicken and mushroom pie for tea.

Saturday was the first Howler Events West Pennines Double Marathon over in Darwen along with club mates Mark Storey, David Fort and Craig Storozuk. We set off on a cold and wet morning over almost 29 miles of exceptionally wet and muddy moors and trails. A lovely sweet rhubarb pie helped keep my energy up around 18 miles in.

Sunday and the second West Pennines "ultra" marathon of the weekend. The weather was thankfully ideal, a little warmer and dry throughout with enough cloud cover to keep out the sun. The route was generally better too with fewer heavy going sections. Just over half way in what would turn out to be a 31-mile route I savoured a delicious mince and onion pie with a hint of cinnamon no less – phenomenal!

Stats for the Week: 105 miles; 10,240 ft climb; 18 hours; 9 pies scoffed







Comments

Popular Posts